How's the Lost Queen Looking Now?

The Lost Queen is up to about 100 drawings, which seems like a lot but it's only the tiniest sliver... now it's time to wrestle it into a form that is readable, and that explains itself, while still letting the reader stay immersed in the drawings...

This means playing around with different narrative structures and experimenting with how much text to add, and where, and who might be narrating this thing anyway.

It really helps to look at how others have dealt with this issue. When you've got a story to tell, and a way of telling it, you still have to find a way to make that story accessible to readers. In my case, books like The Arrival and The Invention of Hugo Cabret have been enormously helpful, as well as looking at online formats like Red Light Properties by Dan Goldman. And, of course, every movie I have ever seen - this feels more cinematic than anything, like a living storyboard.

So now, I think I know what I have in mind at least for reading it on a screen. Take a look at the teeniest sample below of the structure and narrative style.... it's best if you set your PDF viewer to single-page view to go through it.

Oh, and dig the typeface I made out of my handwriting - I really felt that I needed hand-written text for this. I made it at yourfonts.com - and it worked!

Click the picture below to view the PDF and see what you think.