A Nice Article on Theatre Educaton

I recently found this really nice article by by Kim Alan Wheetley, Director of the Southeast Center for Education in the Arts, entitled "The Power and Promise of Theatre Education."


I like how simple the article is, and how it shows that education has everything to do with natural learning processes and working with them rather than shutting them down. Teaching kids theatre is a very sophisticated process, in which they must work collectively toward a common goal. This is different from individual pursuits like painting or a solo instrument, which have their own dynamics.

I thought this article did a good job of describing what theatre is for, why it is fundamental to the human experience, and how it builds on and enhances how kids learn.

Again, here I go lamenting the fact that the arts, which are core to human nature and human experience and human learning, seem to be viewed as "entertainment" rather than education. I wonder if we used the arts as a starting point, rather than an add-on, what would happen to how we teach language and science. I'll let you know as soon as I go get infinite powers and my own planet to experiment on.