Cartooning, Cubism and Futurism



Okay bear with me 'cause I just love this stuff. So if I get esoteric here I apologize in advance.
Above is a sketch of a moment in a book I wrote a few years ago. While I love the story and I think it's fine in text, I've been wanting to adapt it into a graphic novel for quite a while.
In this sketch, the main character encounters something scary behind a door. I am enjoying showing all aspects of this one moment at one time.
Here's another sketch...

A major theme in the book has to do with doors, appearing and disappearing and serving as transitions from one type of reality to another. So I'm enjoying experimenting with how doors as visual devices can serve so many purposes - as places to hide, barriers to keep something out, something to peek out of, and of course portals into somewhere else.
Here's a cool article about the relationship between comics, Cubism and Futurism. If you're into these types of things it's a good read.
And, for a wonderful book that's constructed in such a way that the text and how it exists on the pages tells a lot of the story, check out House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. What a fascinating book, in so many ways. Here's an interview with the author too.