The Story of Stuff


I just watched a 20-minute video called "The Story of Stuff." It's worth a look. And Earth Day is a great opportunity to ponder how we got to the point where we're all entitled to cheap plastic crap at Wal-Mart. The biggest point I think the video makes: That the retail price of an item does NOT reflect the its true price. The true cost has been externalized by the corporation that made the item.

Our dishwasher broke this week, and even though we'd only had it two years, the repair guy posed the question of whether I wanted to fix it or replace it. And wouldn't you know, I did a little calculation in my mind as to whether I would feel "foolish" if I poured more money into this thing that clearly didn't work. I mean, why is that a question? Why remove a huge metal box from your house and send it out into the world if you don't have to?

Well, the dishwasher is getting a new part this week. I hope. In the meantime, hey, washing dishes by hand isn't that bad.