Random Scrap Wood + Nails + Paint = Cool.

With home projects come extra pieces of things and extra paint.


I'm not actually sure what is being made here, I'm told it's a "tank."

It's made of a couple of shelves I pulled out of our garage, along with some other bits I found.


Can I mention how thrilled I am that my two kids were able, on their own, to agree to each paint half of it.

The paint is left over from various projects around the house. The purple was not used to paint my daughter's room. The green was not used to paint the outside of the house.


Now, these two are 8 and 6 years old. Before starting this project, we went over the basics of handling a hammer, properly positioning nails, pulling nails back out, and the rest.

We also learned some things about how to apply paint. To wood, and also to each other. And the necessity of a tarp so we're not still appreciating this project ten years from now.

I suspect this will evolve into more things as time goes on. We started with just scrap wood and nails. I'm guessing that soon I will be fielding questions about what kinds of things can be attached to this (doll parts? fabric?) and with what - including experiments with various types of glue.

Some things will work, and others won't. That's all fine with me, as long as they are observing the basic rules of using tools and paint, being careful with the nails, and being nice to each other. Someday, when they are repairing something around their house who knows - maybe they will remember something like how to use a hammer.